Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thrift Store Score - Atomic Taylorstone Cathay Dish Set

I made a really nice score yesterday, so nice I have to share. Having recently made many fruitless thrifting ventures, there I was shrugging off another thrift store stop with nothing gained. Then there it was, stacks of these super atomic dishes jumped off the bottom shelf, thank you peripheral vision.






In total we made out with a 31 piece set of Taylorstone 'Cathay' dishes. This collection was made by Taylor, Smith an Taylor in the late 1960s. Around the rims of the plates and bowls it features several atomic / mcm iconic shapes and icons in mint green and sky blue colors. It was love at first sight.






All in all we have 5 mugs, a creamer, platter, large soup bowl, a saucer, 8 bread and butter plates, 1 regular bowl, and 8 dinner plates. Although not a complete collection, a sturdy one if we choose to keep and collect them. We already have one vintage set of dishes, but no where near as cool as these.







The dishes certainly make for some photogenic MCM picture taking. Looking around the internet it seems we could collect to build a 12 person set plus extras, there is a bit of it floating around out there.

12 comments:

  1. this design seems quite common, as i see it a lot in thrift stores. just keep you eye out and you should be able to complete your set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have some stray pieces of this. I'll go thru the china cabinet this week and let you know if I have anything of interest for you...

    -Diane G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fantastic! And the perfect colors for your place. Congrats on the score!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, Very cool let us know if you find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find! I ran across several pieces at a thrift store awhile back and the following week I found the rest of the set at another store. I love the pattern and the colors. I haven't found any pieces since. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a large amount of the pieces from this collection. If you are still looking for more pieces to complete your set I can help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jill, I think we are going to stick with our other vintage set and sell this one, let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi All,

    I'm interested in this pattern if I can find it at the right price. I have most of the regular pieces, but I'd like to find a gravy boat and saucer, salt and pepper shakers, serving dishes, and 7" salad plates. If you have them for sale, please contact me at cathaybabe at gmaildotcom. I've never seen them at thrift stores around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! I just picked up a 60 piece set of these in Hyde Park, New York, While they look incredibly similar, mine are the cool blue with brown and orange. Same designs, love the atomic look. HOWEVER, I went a little nuts this week with ebay finds, etc and would be more than willing to give these up if you are interested. You can email me at paul@paulhechtdesigns.com and I'll send you more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Paul, wow 60 pieces! Nice score. We sold our set a few months ago, but thanks for the offer. Feel free to post some pics on the CincinnatiModernation facebook page.

    ReplyDelete